Green and Healthy Future - Choosing Wisely
What is Choosing Wisely?
Choosing Wisely has several different strands of work. They are:
- Encouraging healthy lifestyles, including through increased green and social prescribing
- Reducing the use of unnecessary medication
- Reducing unnecessary testing
Encouraging healthy lifestyles
There are many small changes we can make to our lifestyles that will have a positive impact on our health. This includes doing things such as:
- Stopping smoking
- Being more physically active / moving more (including active travel)
- Healthier eating / eating well
- Reducing stress
- Drinking less alcohol
You can download our Healthy Lifestyles leaflet for some ideas of what's on offer in Frome to support you.
You can find out more about all these changes in our self care section:
Reducing the use of unnecessary medication
Our medicines management team is leading on this area of work.
They are looking at when we may be over-prescribing medication to patients and where we can improve the use of different medications. Examples of this include:
- use of asthma inhalers (you can read more about more environmentally friendly inhalers and not needing new inhalers so regularly here)
- reducing the over-prescribing of antidepressants
- reducing the over-prescribing of blood pressure medicaiton (and encouraging changes to our lifestyles instead)
We will discuss any changes we think we can make to your prescription with you.
Reducing unnecessary testing
There are a lot of areas in general practice where we believe we can reduce testing.
We will discuss this with you if it relates to any tests you are used to receiving.