Our group consultations are not currently taking place face to face, due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, we are moving the back pain sessions to an online group consultation session in August. We will be in touch with patients who would normally attend this session to invite them to join us.
What does Frome Medical Practice offer?
Group Consultations are a way of supporting patients with long-term conditions. You could think of them as a group medical appointment. They are delivered to a group of patients with similar health issues, in a supportive group setting.
There are many benefits to a group consultation:
- More time with a clinician
- Better patient experience
- Increased patient confidence to manage their condition
- Opportunity for patients to support each other
- Improved clinical outcomes – meaning a patient’s health can benefit from this type of consultation
- Reduction in hospital admissions and A&E attendance
Group consultations take place at Frome Medical Practice for patients with the following conditions:
More groups will be starting soon . These will be added to this list as they start to happen.
Patients will be invited to these group sessions by letter. Th exception to this is the Diabetes Group Consultations. Attendance at this can be booked for you by your Health Care Assistant when your diabetes review is undertaken.
As this is a new way of providing patient consultations we understand people might be concerned about coming along to a session. Patients who have attended them have offered positive feedback though, saying they found the group consultation:
- Meant they have more time with a clinician than they would get in 1-1 appointments
- Meant there was consistency around their care – seeing same clinician at each session, for example
- Provided an opportunity to share their own experiences of their illness and ways they’ve been able to manage it
- Helped with their confidence
- Helped them understand their condition
- Was something they look forward to attending
- Was a place to make friends
Clinicians also feel that the sessions mean they develop a closer relationship with patients and so there are benefits all round.
Other support available
This short film will give you an idea of how a Group Consultation session works - click here to watch it.
And this film shows patients talking about how beneficial they've found the sessions to be - you can watch it here to get more of an idea about what to expect from group consultations.
INDEX - Services
- Audiology / Hearing
- Breast Screening
- Care Coordination Hub
- Cervical Screening
- Childhood Immunisations
- Chlamydia Screening
- Contraception / Family Planning
- Diabetes Clinic
- Diabetes Education Online Sessions
- Ear Syringing
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Electronic Prescription Service
- Flu Vaccination
- Group Consultations
- Health Connections Mendip
- Healthy Child Programme
- High Blood Pressure
- Maternity Care
- Medical Examinations
- Mental Health
- Minor Surgery
- Musculoskeletal / Orthopaedic Service
- NHS Health Checks
- Patient Support and Information
- Respiratory Assessment
- Summary Care Record
- Support to Stop Smoking
- Test and Results
- Travel Advice
- Warfarin Monitoring
- Young Person's Clinic