Temporary Patients

Temporary Patients

If you are ill while away from home, or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one urgently you can receive emergency treatment from Frome Medical Practice by registering as a temporary patient.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months, allowing you to be on our practice list but remain a patient of your registered GP practice. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with us.

We do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although we are required to offer you emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient if you are already registered at another practice in our area.

The funding of primary care is mainly based on the number of patients registered with a practice. If we see patients who are not registered with us, we are providing a service to them which can reduce the level of services available to offer to our registered patients and there is no funding for this.

It may seem unhelpful if we cannot see temporary patients, but we are trying to protect the services that we offer to our registered patients. Patients registered elsewhere should see their own doctor. We will, of course, see you if you are having a problem that really cannot wait until you can see your own GP.

Some of the services we will not provide include: contraceptive pill and devices, warfarin checks, and smear tests.

University Students

If you are returning home from university for the holidays please bring enough medication with you to last while you are home. We cannot issue repeat prescriptions or make referrals to hospitals when you are temporary patient.

The only contraception that can be given as a temporary patient is the Depo Injection as this may fall due when home.

Patients on Holiday

If you do not have enough of your regular medication while you on holiday act as soon as possible – do not leave it until it becomes urgent. If you are away from home and need your usual medication, you should visit a pharmacist (chemist) for help.

If agreed with the pharmacist, contact your registered GP and ask if they can send a prescription to the pharmacy.

If your registered GP Surgery is using electronic prescribing, they will be able to send a prescription to the pharmacy of your choice via the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS).

If your registered GP surgery is closed and you have proof of the medication normally prescribed to you, the pharmacist may be able to provide an emergency supply. Emergency supply is a private service, and you will be asked to pay for the medication supplied.