Green Impact Award
The practice has signed up to the Green Impact Award for Primary Care and we are focusing on some of our current good practice and where we can improve.
The award has been developed by the University of Bristol, the Royal College and General Practitioners (RCGP), Health Education England (HEE) South West and the National Union of Students (NUS).
The toolkit was designed by GPs and sustainability professionals, specifically to help GP surgeries improve their sustainability and environmental impact.
We have already made a number of positive changes over recent months:
- We are promoting the GSK inhaler recycling scheme ‘Complete the Cycle’ and encouraging patients to recycle their inhalers at Boots or Asda Pharmacies which are the nearest locations with recycling facilities. We are also hoping St Aldhelm’s Pharmacy will soon have a facility available. To find out if your inhaler could be recycled click here. For more information or to find other inhaler recycling facilities visit www.completethecycle.eu
- We have joined Refill Frome. The Practice has introduced a new water refill bottle station in Area 2. Refill Frome is part of a growing national refill scheme that encourages making free and safe drinking water available to all and helps support the Frome wide ‘Say no to plastic’ campaign to reduce single use plastics.
- We now provide fair trade tea and coffee for all our staff.
- We are reviewing our lighting and energy use.
- We are changing some of our purchasing decisions. These include switching to environmentally friendly paper.
The award also helps to underpin some of the work that we are leading the way on in social prescribing and working closely with our local community. For further details see Frome Model of Enhanced Primary Care
For more information about the award visit www.greenimpact.org.uk/giforhealth