Ear Syringing / Ear Wax Removal
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic we are not able to offer ear syringing / ear wax removal to our patients. We can however suggest self care techniques to help you manage any difficulties you may be experiencing with ear wax.
If after trying our suggestions below you feel you would still like to try an ear wax removal service we have listed other providers at the end of this page who may be able to help. Please note, you will be using such providers at your own risk and we do not take responsibility for the services you receive from them.
What does Frome Medical Practice offer?
We do not offer an ear wax removal service to our patients. Instead, we suggest the following self care techniques.
Use of olive oil ear drops
Olive oil encourages the natural movement of wax from the outer ear
It is advisable to buy a bottle of olive oil and ‘dropper’ from your local pharmacist. Use olive oil drops as directed by your nurse.
Most patients find that applying 1-2 drops at night, for 3-4 nights prior to an appointment, is helpful for wax removal. If you have continued problems with excessive wax it may be beneficial to use 1-2 drops of olive oil each week. This will not stop wax collecting, but will make removal easier.
To administer olive oil to your ear:
- Lie down on your side with the affected ear upwards.
- Gently pull the outer ear backwards and upwards.
- Using room temperature olive oil and the dropper, drop 1-2 drops in the ear canal and gently massage the area in front of the ear.
- Remain lying down for 10 minutes and then wipe away any excess oil. DO NOT put any cotton wool in your ear canal as this will absorb the oil.
- Repeat the procedure with the opposite ear if necessary.
Using drops prescribed by doctor or nurse
- Follow the instructions as above for using olive oil ear drops.
- You will need to use the drops more frequently than the olive oil drops. Please follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Make sure you complete the course of treatment.
Information for people who have had a mastoid operation
(These instructions can be used for any ear drops.)
It is important that the drops reach two areas within the ear - the ear canal and the mastoid cavity.
- Put the drops in, as explained above.
- To ensure that the drops reach the back of the mastoid cavity, lie on your back and insert 2-3 drops into the back of the cavity.
- Remain in this position for 10 minutes and then wipe away any excess fluid (oil or antibiotic drops).
Other support available
Further infomation is available on the NHS website:
For really useful information about hearing aids, see the 'patient' tab of the Rotheram Ear Care centre website, which includes information on ear care (wax, hearing loss, tinnitus and ear infections), information on hearing aids and accessories, links to leaflets and frequently asked questions:
Ear syringing during the coronavirus pandemic
We are aware there are some private providers who are still offering an ear syringing service in Frome during the coronavirus pandemic. Please note there will be a cost for using these providers. Please also note, you use such providers at your own risk and Frome Medical Practice does not take responsibility for the services you receive from them.
Teresa Munro RGN 07962 106045 email: email@example.com
INDEX - Services
- Audiology / Hearing
- Breast Screening
- Care Coordination Hub
- Cervical Screening
- Childhood Immunisations
- Chlamydia Screening
- Contraception / Family Planning
- Ear Syringing
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Electronic Prescription Service
- Flu Vaccination
- Group Consultations
- Health Connections Mendip
- Healthy Child Programme
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Maternity Care
- Medical Examinations
- Mental Health
- Minor Surgery
- Musculoskeletal / Orthopaedic Service
- NHS Health Checks
- Patient Support and Information
- Respiratory Assessment
- Summary Care Record
- Support to Stop Smoking
- Test and Results
- Travel Advice
- Warfarin Monitoring
- Young Person's Clinic
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.