What does Frome Medical Practice offer?
Many medical problems can be managed with support from our team of healthcare professionals within the Practice. However, there are many local pathways and services your doctor may recommend or refer you to for some medical conditions. Some services allow you to refer yourself but for most services the doctor will agree to refer you. To refer to many services, including local hospitals, we use e-referrals.
The NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS) combines electronic booking with a choice of place, date and time for first hospital or clinic appointments. Patients can choose their initial hospital or clinic appointment, book it in the GP surgery at the point of referral, or later at home on the phone or online.
What happens when you and your GP agree you need an appointment with a specialist?
- The GP will write a referral and you can book your first hospital or clinic appointment using e-Referrals (formerly known as "Choose and Book".)
- The GP will give you a choice of hospital or clinic. You may already know which hospital you would like to be referred to. If you are not sure, there is useful information here, which may help you decide.
- When the doctor has completed your referral, your Booking Form will be posted to you. The Booking Form has a unique booking reference and password that you will need to make your appointment.
- When you have your booking form you can phone the appointments line number listed or go online to arrange your first appointment. You will be offered various dates and times by the hospital or clinic so that you can choose the one which best suits you.
- If you lose your Booking Form please telephone the Practice on 01373 301301 option 5 and we will be able to give you the details again.
- If you do not book an appointment, E-Referrals will send a reminder letter.
Please note that some clinics and hospital departments are not yet on the e-Referrals system. Your GP will know which clinics these are and will send a letter to them directly. The clinic or hospital will then write to you with an appointment date and time.
Other support available
Click here to see the NHS leaflet explaining what you can expect to happen if you are referred by your GP to see a specialist or consultant.
To find out more about e-referrals or to book your referral appointment click here.
INDEX - Services
- Audiology / Hearing
- Breast Screening
- Care Coordination Hub
- Cervical Screening
- Childhood Immunisations
- Chlamydia Screening
- Contraception / Family Planning
- Diabetes Clinic
- Diabetes Education Online Sessions
- Ear Syringing
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Electronic Prescription Service
- Flu Vaccination
- Group Consultations
- Health Connections Mendip
- Healthy Child Programme
- High Blood Pressure
- Maternity Care
- Medical Examinations
- Mental Health
- Minor Surgery
- Musculoskeletal / Orthopaedic Service
- NHS Health Checks
- Patient Support and Information
- Respiratory Assessment
- Summary Care Record
- Support to Stop Smoking
- Test and Results
- Travel Advice
- Warfarin Monitoring
- Young Person's Clinic