Coronavirus - signs and symptoms
Updated 5th January 2021
Thank you to everyone in our community for working together and protecting each other through maintaining physical distancing, good hand hygiene and staying at home as much as possible. It has been hard but your commitment to this is appreciated. Through our collective efforts we have reduced but not eliminated the coronavirus. We need to continue to work together to stay safe in Frome.
If you have symptoms of coronavirus, stay at home. Do not visit a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
What are the symptoms of coronavirus?
The symptoms you need to be aware of are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste - this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
(note that this video was made before the loss of sense of smell or taste was added to the list of symptoms)
If you have these symptoms use the 111 coronavirus service to find out what to do. Do not visit your GP, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home.
Advice for parents
Having an ill child can be a very scary experience for parents. The more you understand about an illness, the more it can help you feel in control.
The link below is for parents and deals with common infections in children who are normally healthy. It is not meant for children who have ongoing problems such as asthma, heart or kidney problems, You should also not rely on the advice here for children who are less than 3 months old.
- Our latest practice update on coronavirus
- Sign up for the NHS App
- Latest government guidance
- COVID-19 vaccinations
- How to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus
- What to do if you think you might have coronavirus
- Use of face coverings
- Information for patients who are shielding
- Support for people who are shielding
- Temporary changes to services
- Signs and symptoms
- Isolation notes
- Information in different formats
- Useful links
- Volunteer to help find a vaccine